My Sobriety Story
Hello, I am Bree. I am an alcoholic and an addict in recovery.
For a long time, the pain of the past defined my life. Starting at a young age, I faced significant trauma and family dysfunction that left me feeling broken. Growing up in a household where addiction was present created a confusing and often hurtful environment. Watching the impact of substance abuse of my father and older siblings skewed my understanding of love and safety, and for many years, it felt as though addiction was an inescapable family legacy.
To cope with this deep emotional distress, I turned to substances early on. What began as an attempt to numb the pain eventually evolved into a complex struggle with alcohol, drugs, and unhealthy relationship patterns. I faced exploitation and experiences that left me feeling powerless and terrified. Because the pain was so great, I used whatever I could to erase the reality of my situation.
Even after becoming a mother at 19, the weight of depression and the habit of self-medicating continued. I spent years in a cycle of mental distress, seeking relief in ways that only caused more harm to myself and my relationships. I was trapped in a dark place, losing connections with friends and family while my addiction grew more severe. I was working solely to support my habits, feeling increasingly disconnected from the life I wanted for myself and my daughter.
A major turning point occurred on February 17, 2023. Realizing the impact my condition was having on my child provided a stark moment of clarity. I knew things had to change. That day, I made the decision to stop drinking.
While that was a massive step, the battle with other substances continued for a few more months. The final wake-up call came through a family interaction that reminded me of everything I was missing. On August 23, 2023, I committed to full sobriety and sought professional help. I have not looked back since.
I have taken the energy once consumed by a "curse" and turned it into a blessing. I am no longer ashamed of my disease; I am an alcoholic and an addict who chooses healing every day. I have learned to identify my triggers and I utilize tools like journaling and professional support to maintain my path.
Today, life looks very different. I am pursuing my education and have started a business focused on resource sharing, inspiration, and more, known as Mama Bree Recovery. I am a present and devoted mother, a sister, an aunt, a daughter and a mentor. I am winning the fight against my past trauma by taking life one day at a time. If this transformation is possible for me, it is possible for anyone.
Comments
Post a Comment
Before Commenting please put name, respectful language only, no spamming, comments will be review, This is a judge free zone, if you have nothing nice to say then please leave the page. Well thank you for viewing my blog.